Saturday, March 3, 2018

The Midbeats - to know them is to love them....

Ben, Jake, Tom and Matt - The Midbeats

I only ever met The Midbeats once, in Leicester in December 2012, but they were a nice bunch of lads and had no airs or graces about them. Matt had a Leicester kind of wit while Jake was the type of zany one that every band has. Tom was somebody i knew quite well as i’d worked with him lots of times and Ben was the newest member of the band who happened to be very quiet and subdued, in a good kind of way.
i was there to take photos of the band, who were promoting and shooting a video for their new cd called ‘This Old Town’. The finished video is featured below;


I was walking in those days, but had the stroke a few months later. it was the last time i took any meaningful photographs.
As you can imagine, i lost touch with the band and always wondered if the track was successful or not. It sounded pretty good to me. I wasn’t there for the scenes they shot in the cafe but i was for everything else. i stood in the background as they did shot after shot to get it perfect. I remember them from the video and remember what a long day it was.
i had no idea that i was to become disabled soon after the shoot and i’m sure the band heard all about it when it happened. It goes to show that you never know what’s around the corner.

12 comments:

  1. Not a band I knew. And they have a decidedly retro sound which I like. You are sadly right about the invisibility of what is round the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think they are a very well known band. I could be wrong though. Welcome back EC. I’ve really missed you.

      Delete
  2. They sound really good, and the sentiment behind the song is one many younger people can identify with.

    If we knew what was around the corner, I daresay many of us would go mad. As long as we don't know, we can always hope there is good as well as bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the shoot and thought they were very good. It’s impossible to know what our fate is. A healthier lifestyle is something we whould all strive for.

      Delete
  3. A good song, I thought. Well played.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with John, a balst from the past, the music and the hair 'cuts'. Good music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were definitely a blast from the past. I remember thinking back then that this is pretty good stuff.

      Delete
  5. I don't know this band but the music was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Martha. I agree. I remember when I was in a band, we never did half as much as The Midbeats did.

      Delete
  6. I'm not familiar with this band either but they sounded good to me. They had a great beat.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that they weren’t well-known, Julia. The video was so they could get people interested in them.

      Delete

I don’t know a lot of things and my memory has seen better times.  We can’t know everything that is going to happen, but everything does fo...