Friday, May 11, 2018

The ‘Mac’ is back. Funny thing is I didn’t know he’d gone away....

Today has been one of one of those days that you just don’t forget (as far as the weather is concerned). Although i’m not a big tennis fan, i do remember that day back in 1980 when John Mcenroe and Bjorn Borg battled it out to see who the best tennis player in the world was. It was a similar kind of day to today. But when it came to who had the silliest haircut i think Mcenroe would have have won it by a country mile. Mcenroe was a 21-year old American, famous for his tantrums, and Borg was a 24-year old Swede who kept his emotions to himself. Both were very talented at this thing they called ‘tennis’.

It was great to watch them play each other and you can understand why it is that people get so worked up about the game. To say that is a bit of an understatement, though. They are obsessed.
Borg won the match in 1980 but Mcenroe met him in the final the next year and won. I’m sure that people will keep on comparing them to the modern-day players such as Pete Sampras and Roger Federer. I think it’s impossible to say who would have won had their swords crossed but i like to think the greats of today were inspired by the superb way that Borg and Mcenroe played the game.

14 comments:

  1. I love watching tennis...and am looking forward to Wimbledon which is due to start in a few weeks' time. January is a big tennis month here in Australia with the Aus Open and all the tournaments leading up to the Open...so I spend the month watching the matches.

    I love the game, but was a pretty hopeless player! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, i’ll watch it on tv unless there’s there’s some wet paint that hasn’t dried yet.

      Delete
  2. All I really remember from that time in tennis history is hearing about Mcenroe's temper tantrums! Tennis was an "elite" sport when I was growing up. Only rich people could do it. I'm glad it's available to more people now. We played badminton, the middle-class tennis - ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McEnroe’s temper got him booed which was quite funny. He was such a serious person, though.

      Delete
  3. Even my non-sporting self remembers that game. And McEnroe's temper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mcenroe’s temper was similar to my son’s. He was a grown man; my son was awas a kid. was a kid. Big difference.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember these two well. Lots of greats have conquered and moved on. Always watch the big tournaments

      Delete
    2. No offence, they moved on because they were too old.

      Delete
    3. Yup. That's right! nadal and federer will be going the same way soon. At the moment I enjoy watching them play together. Friends and rivals

      Delete
  5. Wimbledon finals can be so gripping as the momentum swings from player to player. At times it seems more about psychology and stamina than the hitting of tennis balls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi YP, I didn’t have you down fo a tennis fan.

      Delete
  6. For some reason, I've never been a sport fan of any kind but I remember the tantrums of that tennis player although I didn't remember his name.
    I guess my life has always been too busy to find the time to play. It's a shame because I can see the value of sport. My kids were in sport in school but my husband never went to see them play. I used to go watch when I could.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you didn’t participate don’t feel any shame in it. It’s all an illusion.

      Delete

I don’t know a lot of things and my memory has seen better times.  We can’t know everything that is going to happen, but everything does fo...